Are you worried that a friend is self-harming? It’s a good idea to talk to someone you trust, like a parent, a teacher or school counsellor. There are also help lines you can call if you are not sure what to do.
Here are a few other steps that you can take to help your friend:
- Educate yourself about self-injury (you’re already off to a great start)
- Here is a great list of resources!
- Lead with compassion, and avoid anger and judgment. Your friend isn’t trying to hurt you, make you feel guilty or get attention
- Focus on your friend’s concerns or issues, not the act of self-injury
- Let your friend know that you’re there to listen, you care about them, and you want to help
- Encourage your friend to get a trusted adult involved in order to seek further help
If you are self-injuring, there is support. You are not alone.